Penguins

I love teaching my kids about penguins.  Not only are they adorable, but studying penguins is a great way to connect both fiction and non-fiction.  

I usually start with a non-fiction story so that my students can learn about penguin facts.  After reading about penguins, my students then write an informational piece on them.  My students are working on starting with an introductory sentence, writing facts and adding a closing sentence.  They are doing a great job with this informational writing structure!



Then, we move on to Tacky the Penguin.  He is one of my favorite characters.  My kids love him too! He is an odd, silly and very lovable penguin.  He is a great character to use when discussing character traits.  



Here are a few of the other activities my kids enjoy doing during our study of penguins.

  




You can get my penguin unit or Tacky packet by clicking the pictures below!

      

~Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment